The Big Hand believes that all children deserve an opportunity and that only by helping all children of the village is it possible to break the cycle of poverty in which they live in. Therefore, The Big Hand operates at 3 levels:
The Big Hand believes that all children educated in a healthy environment will be more active people, citizens, mothers and fathers. Using all their skills they will work to improve their community and build a better world. To achieve this objective, the Big Hand program provides all children with:
- Hygiene Kits
- School Materials
- Health and Nutrition plan
- Food Plan
- Family visits
- School uniform and Sports clothes
- Sports and Tradicional Games
The Friendly School program of The Big Hand seeks to create the necessary conditions in school in order that the child can study in security and in a cosy atmosphere. It is our goal to ensure children’s access to essential goods such as drinking water, basic sanitation, healthcare and nutrition, illuminated and airy classrooms, as well as to stimulate an eclectic and inclusive pedagogical plan.
- Rehabilitation and construction of school equipment: pre-school classrooms; classrooms; latrines (W.C.’s); standpipes
- Distribution of individual kits: school material; hygiene.
- Promotion/support of school clubs: health; gender equality; sport; culture.
- Promotion of personal hygiene habits.
In partnership with the formal and informal leaders of the Village, supporting the local Chiefs in their efforts to improve the living conditions of the population, building social infra structure such as water holes, washing tanks and latrines, supporting micro-businesses and reinforcing the work of the local Medical Clinic with the support and promotion of the Mobile Health Unit.
- Rehabilitation and construction of social equipment: community kitchen; water holes, latrines; clothing washing tanks; social bakery/oven.
- Promotion of culture and community sport.
- Community health promotion: bicycle ambulance; mobile health unit.